Making Sense Of Fractions
This 7-week online course stresses teachers’ learning about fractions and focuses on their roles in classrooms as they listen, learn, assess, support, and facilitate math learning.
Summer course: None currently scheduled
Tuition: $500 per participant
Have Questions? Contact us to learn more, for information on hosting a workshop, or to have a conversation about which offering might be best given your particular situation/needs.
In This Course, Participants…
- learn about models and representations that support students in making sense of operations involving fractions
- experience the development of ideas about fractions across the grades
- make connections between the CCSS Standards and Mathematical Practices
- solve addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division problems with fractions
- examine student work
- read, watch, and listen as students make sense of fractions across the grades
This course has truly been eye opening. I learned fractions through memorizing procedures. Fractions are no longer scary to me, but a topic that will be fun and engaging to teach.
— MSF Online Course Participant
Who Should Attend
Users of Investigations as well as any educators seeking to deepen their knowledge of teaching and learning fractions.
Receive a certificate indicating 40 clock hours upon completion of the course.
Apply for 3 graduate credits through Framingham State University, for an additional fee of $225 paid to FSU. Information and applications are available the first week of the course.