Grade 1 Curriculum
Learn more (pdf) about the units, the math, the components, and some of the games, activities, and contexts at first grade.
Unit Summaries contains a brief summary of the mathematical content of each of the units in the Grade 1 sequence.
Math Content by Grade describes the mathematical work of Grade 1 in each of the following content areas: Counting and the Number System and Addition and Subtraction (both listed under Number and Operations-Whole Numbers), Data Analysis, Measurement, Patterns and Functions, and Geometry. The mathematical emphases and benchmarks for each content area are also included.
Scope and Sequence
Explore a Session from the third Grade 1 unit, Solving Story Problems: Addition, Subtraction, and the Number System 2. All of the materials referenced in the Session—Resource Masters, Student Activity Book pages, Student Math Handbook pages, two Teacher Notes, and a Dialogue Box—are also included.
- Session 1.1—How Many of Each? PDF
- Resource Master—Start With/Get To Cards (Set A) PDF
- Student Activity Book—Nine Toys: How Many of Each?
- PDFStudent Activity Book—Using A Calendar PDF
- Resource Master—Family Letter About the Mathematics in This Unit PDF
- Student Math Handbook—Counting Forward and Counting Back PDF
- Student Math Handbook—How Many of Each? PDF
- Teacher Note—About the How Many of Each? Problems in This Unit PDF
- Teacher Note—Finding Relationships Among Solutions PDF
- Dialogue Box—Do We Have All the Combinations? PDF
Grade 1 Components
Learn about the various components that make up the Core Curriculum Package in Grade 1,
Learn more about companion materials for using Investigations to teach the Common Core State Standards.
This document lists the Grade 1 units, the number of sessions in each one, and the total number of sessions in the Grade 1 curriculum. It also contains information about the expectations for the number of minutes spent per day on mathematics.
Investigations and the CCSS
Learn more about Investigations and the Common Core State Standards
What does an Investigations classroom look and sound like? The videos below provide images of teachers and students at work in a range of first grade classrooms.
This teacher re-introduces students to the Classroom Routine Quick Images. Several students share how they visualized one image.
One student discusses her strategy for solving a story problem (18 + _ = 25) with her teacher.
One student shares his strategy for solving 8 + 5. The teacher records his thinking.
One student shares her strategy for solving 6 + 7. Another student shares a similar, related strategy. The teacher records their thinking.